Friday, July 25, 2008

IKF World Classic Amateur Championships Day 1 and 2

Its been a week since I went up to Orlando for the IKF World Classic. I was mad nervous for this tournament, because I haven't had a kickboxing fight in over a year, I was suppostu fight in Orlando in May in a San Shou tournament. But I injured my shoulder in a fight 3 weeks prior. So for this tournament I was planning to fight in the 140 lb and under International style weight class. Unfortunately the division wasn't full enough so I decided to bump up to 150 lb and under International Style division. My brother entered 150 lb and under Muay Thai style weight class. The first night after I weighed in, and me and my bro are at the fighters banquet, it was intimidating to see the whole room filled with 300+ fighters for this tournament. Me and Kevin are just chillin eatting and scoping the area out a little. So we go back to our rooms and rest up before our fights in the morning. So in the morning me and Kevin are walking around going to the bathroom like every 10 minutes lol.. Were watching the point kickboxing portion of the tournament, some teammates of ours were competeing in it. That was pretty fun to watch, then the brackets of the tournament went up. Everyone was rushing over to see who they were fighting and when they were fighting. I personally don't like to see who im fighting or when im fighting myself, I have someone else find out for me so I know, it just adds more nervous energy to be crowding around the brackets all the time for me. So my bro was the 12th fight and I was the 27th. When my bro went up I and I was mad nervous for him, whenever he goes in there I feel like im about to fight, I know its the same for him to. So me, my coach and sensei JP (Jarett Perelmutter), and my friend and training partner Pedro were cornering Kevin for this fight. The fight starts off and Kevin is looking mad calm and picks this guy apart, he puts on a clinic in the first round. Second round comes around and its more of the same and at end of the second round he dropped the guy. It was a knockout, but the bell rang at the right moment and the guy was allowed to continue on to the 3rd round. We knew he was still hurt, so we just told him to jump on him at the beginning of the 3rd. So Kevin just rushes him in the beginning of the fight and knocks the guy out, it was a good win for us. The rest of the time I started to really focus and go over the gameplan for my fight coming up next. The closer it got to the fight I started to feel short of breath, thats how I kno im getting into that fight mode. For my fight my bro, JP, and Pedro are in my corner. The fight starts off and right away im catching the guy with stiff jabs and clean rights, the guys catching me as well, but nothing right on point. The second round comes around and I have a surge of confidence and go in there with more aggressiveness, im attempting ballsy moves like spinning backfists with my left and going into a straight right. Then in the third I almost finish the guy with a flurry, but it didnt happen and I ended up winning, it was a real meanigful win for me, first kickboxing win since I had cancer removed from my shoulder. Me and Kevin were suppostu fight again that day but it didn't happen due to delays and because it was just getting ridiculously late. Me and Kevin were up in 6 fights or so and it was close to 11pm already. It was more mentally draining than physically tiring. So they decide to continue and finish the event in the morning. It was a two-day event anyways but I was scheduled to fight twice on saturday and twice on sunday, I was the only person out of my 12 man bracket that had to fight 4 times to win the title, everyone else had to fight 3, when it comes to brackets I usually get the short end of the stick >8(. So I clean up and grab a bite to eat with JP, Kevin, and other friends. I started to feel really focused and pumped to win this whole tournament even though I knew I had a lot of fights ahead of me. I just kept telling my bro, "Man.. Tomorrows gonna be a crazy day..".

EEK D8!! Im in my computer class right now and I think were about to take an exam, ill continue this in a bit ladies and gents!!

No comments: